Lee County Animal Services & Shelter
Lee County Animal Services
The Lee County Animal Services & Shelter is an open door, county facility committed to protect the health, safety and welfare of people and pets throughout the county by enforcing the North Carolin Rabies Law and providing basic services required to enforce the Lee County Control ordinances.
Along with the stray animals we pick up, we take every domestic animal that comes to our door; young, old, sick, or injured. Although we try our best to find these animals new homes, more keep coming every day, and we can only house so many at a time. Sadly, we must euthanize those animals for which no homes can be found. Please help us save a life by adopting a homeless pet and having your pets spayed or neutered!
1450 N. Horner Blvd.
Sanford, NC 27330
Office Hours: Monday - Friday 8am-5pm
Map to our shelter
Monday - Friday 8am-5pm
We do not charge a fee for adopting pets. Instead, we enforce Lee County's mandatory spay/neuter policy for adopted shelter pets which is outlined below.
- The adopting party is required to schedule an appointment and pre-pay the veterinarian of their choice for a spay or neuter surgery & rabies vaccine. The vet office must complete and sign the adoption certificate. If the pet is less than 4 months old, the appointment can be scheduled at the appropriate time suggested by the veterinarian.
- The pet will be released into the adopters custody when the completed adoption certificate is faxed or brought to LCAS confirming the appointment and payment . Animals will be held for 1 business day in order for arrangements to be made.
- Coming from Outside Sanford? We will be glad to fax a copy of the adoption form to your veterinarian.
- After the scheduled date of surgery, we will confirm that the procedure has been completed. If these terms are not complied with, we have the right to confiscate the animal.
*At the discretion of the animal control staff, some breeds may be required to be transported to the vet appointment by an animal control officer to ensure the spay/neuter surgery is performed. These include, but are not limited to, any animal which appears to be purebred, Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, or other breeds commonly used for illegal purposes or breeding. In this instance, appointments must be scheduled with a Lee County vet.
You may use any vet you choose. Several Lee County veterinarians have graciously offered discounted health packages for pets adopted from LCAS. The package includes spay/neuter surgery, rabies, dhlppc for dogs/fvrcp for cats, and a health exam. Please inquire with the individual veterinarian office about participation.
Lee County Veterinarians:
- All Animals Veterinary Hospital (919) 775-7945
- Carolina Veterinary Hospital (919) 258-3349
- Myres Animal Hospital (919) 775-2258
- Sanford Animal Hospital (919) 775-7945
- Maple Springs Veterinary Hopsital (919) 718-5000
- Willow Creek Animal Hospital (919)776-1920
Following are a list of local spay/neuter clinics in the area:
- SNAP-NC (Spay-Neuter Assistance Program of North Carolina)
- Companion Animal Clinic of the Sandhills
(910)-692-FIXX (3499) Fax: (910)-692-9650
P.O. Box 148
Southern Pines, NC 28388
- Carolina Mobile Spay/Neuter
- Triad Spay/Neuter Clinic
- Humane Alliance Spay/Neuter Clinic
- Spay Neuter on Wheels
Central North Carolina
- Operation Catnip
Donations of any kind are greatly appreciated! We have a very limited budget which only covers basic shelter necessities, therefore donations are very important to provide for the dogs and cats in our care. The following is a list of needed items:
- Puppy, kitten, and adult food, canned and dry
- Rawhide or other chew bones
- Sanitizable toys
- Towels and blankets
- Cat Litter
- Laundry detergent
|We would love to have Patented Kuranda Dog Beds in all of our dog kennels because they are durable, chew proof and easy to clean. If you would like to donate a bed to us, click here.|
**Please note:** This Petfinder site is maintained by a small group of dedicated volunteers, and, while we communicate regularly, the information contained in this site is not official county information. This site represents volunteersí best efforts to maintain an up-to-date list of adoptable pets. Even with the help of volunteers we stay at capacity with many pets and there are ALWAYS more than can be listed on Petfinder. Please call the shelter if you have lost a pet and do not rely on our list to determine if we have your pet.
If you have an after hours emergency, please contact either the City of Sanford Police Department at 919-775-8268 or the Lee County Sheriff's Department at 919-775-5531.
Click here for a list of pets at this shelter
[Home] [Information] [Shelters] [Search]