Welcome to Knine Rescue, Inc.
We are a small non-profit 501(c)3 organization, dedicated to animal care and protection. We assist shelters and other rescues (both in our area and out of our area alike), and take on word of mouth tasks. Our goal is to promote responsible animal ownership and to assume those responsibilities when others are unwilling or unable to do so. We are a virtual facility made up of foster homes and volunteers.
We can assist you in selecting the right pet. Please ask us about pet selection. We are also available to assist you with any questions or problems you may have concerning your companion and we encourage you to contact us.
Knine Rescue was originally founded in 2004 by Chris Biscardi, and officially registered as a non profit in June of 2007. She passed away suddenly and unexpectedly in 2012. Friends and adopters have volunteered to keep her belief going that every dog deserves to find a loving home. "Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole" was and is a favorite quote.
Who we are
Knine Rescue is a small non-profit 501(c)3 organization, dedicated to animal care and protection. We assist shelters and other rescues (both in our area and out of our area alike), and take on word of mouth tasks. Our goal is to promote responsible animal ownership and to assume those responsibilities when others are unwilling or unable to do so.
Please take time in choosing a pet. Take into consideration the cost of food and health care as well as the time you have available to spend with your new companion. Consider the needs of the animal as well as your own. We may request that you take a 24-hour thought period to carefully consider the advantages and disadvantages of pet ownership.
Pets are confused by drastic changes in their homes, lifestyles, etc. Their habits may change with each new owner. PLEASE ALLOW AT LEAST 30 DAYS FOR ANY ANIMAL TO ADJUST TO A NEW HOME. YOU CANNOT RETURN THIS PET TO KRI UNTIL AT LEAST THE 30 DAYS ARE UP. YOUR ADOPTION DONATION WILL NOT BE REFUNDED. THEREFORE, MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE THIS PET IS THE RIGHT FIT FOR YOU BEFORE AGREEING TO ADOPT. You are new to the animal and they are not sure where they are or how long they will be there. If you cannot provide a lifetime home for a pet, do not adopt it!
Animals need companionship and supervision. Dogs need to be secured to prevent them from becoming a free roaming nuisance to the community. Chained dogs are often barkers, diggers and easy targets for other dogs and pranksters. Fenced yards are recommended. All pets need a loving, secure home with proper food, water, shelter, exercise and medical care provided.
We can assist you in selecting the right pet. Please ask us about pet selection. We are also available to assist you with any questions, training or problems you may have concerning your new companion and we encourage you to contact us.
Placing animals in new homes is a responsibility we take seriously. Our adoption process includes an application form, reference check, home visit and contract. All persons interested in adopting a pet from us must read and complete the forms. You can find the forms under "Adopt".
Back to top
Our Wish List
KRI appreciates any help you can give!
- Foster homes
- Volunteers (fundraisers, grant writers, dog handlers, graphic designers, etc.)
- Gift Certificates or Auction Items for future fundraisers.
- Bedding - linens, blankets, towels, etc.
- Dog Food - only specific brands, please ask
- Obedience Class Coupons
- Grooming coupons/gift certificates
- Pet Store Gift Certificates
- Puppy Training Pads
- HW preventative, flea/tick preventative
Sponsor a dog!
The Bugsy Fund!
Please consider making a tax-deductible donation to The Bugsy Fund to help support KRI dogs whose situation (ie: age, looks, breed, health) may keep them in our adoption program as forever fosters. The fund is in memory of KRI's first forever foster dog, Bugsey, who passed away in our foster program.
You can also help Knine Rescue every time you shop online!
- AMAZON SMILE! Amazon donates 0.5% of the price of all eligible purchases to the charitable donation of your choice. Click on this link to get started and help us by choosing Knine Rescue Inc. as your charity of choice! Amazon Smile
- iGive.com! Change your shopping for good. With iGive, whenever you shop online a percentage of what you spend can be donated to a cause of your choice! Over 1,400 stores are now participating and donate, on average, 3% of all sales. Every little bit helps! iGive.com
Thank you from all the people & pooches at KRI!
Back to top
Surrendering your pet
If you are thinking about surrendering your pet, please exhaust every possibility for keeping your best friend in the home he knows and finds comfortable. Please do not add another animal to the vast numbers of the homeless unless you have absolutely no other choice! Have you considered a temporary foster home until you can resolve the issues that force you to surrender your pet?
Check out the Safe Haven Programs listed at United States Humane Society Safe Haven Program or Seer Farm Sanctuary, which are national networks of temporary fostering/boarding when people might be forced to part with bonded companions because of personal or family crisis, including domestic violence, eviction, hospitalization for physical or mental treatments, etc. Their goal is to reunite people with their companions when the crisis is resolved whether it be days, months or years.
Knine Rescue is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization. We do not have a kennel or visiting hours. We are made up of foster homes & volunteers. Only very few dogs at a time can be taken in to re-home. For owner surrenders, we ask for a surrender donation (our average donation is $25 but we appreciate anything you can offer. The donation is not REQUIRED though. If there is room, we WILL take in your dog without a surrender donation).
We don't take in cats or other pets, but we will post them on our site. Placements are crucial to our success. When our program is full of dogs, we must turn away others until spaces are made available by adoptions. Some of the dogs listed have been with us a long time and have characteristics which make them more difficult to place. Please consider helping one of these dogs so that we may continue to help others.
If you notice a dog or cat has been removed from our listings, you can feel assured that they did not meet with an untimely death. Knine Rescue works with other rescue and shelter operations nationwide. Please see the Links portion of the website to contact our partner rescue groups directly to see if they have an opening for the animal you need to surrender. If you can foster the animal while Knine Rescue advertises it and attempts to re-home it, we welcome the opportunity to assist you.
KRI highly recommends the MD SPCA in Baltimore, MD. Saturdays are their biggest adoption days, so by Saturday afternoon, they usually have room. They are no-kill as long as:
- They have room
- The animal is not people aggressive & it passes a temperament test, done by appointment only!
- The animal is not very ill
- The animal is not very old
ATTENTION MILITARY PERSONNEL & FAMILY/FRIENDS - know someone being deployed? Have them contact Guardian Angels for Soldier’s Pet for cats & dogs, and Dogs On Deployment or NetPets MilitaryPetsFoster for dogs.
Our Adoption Goals
The purpose of our adoption program is to place an animal in a responsible home where it will:
- Receive veterinary care when needed
- Not add to the pet overpopulation problem
- Be controlled so it will not roam free in the neighborhood
- Be happy with its owner and the owner happy with the pet
A non-refundable, tax deductible donation (we average $180 - $350 a pet, usually $300 for purebred dogs and $350 for puppies) is required at the time of adoption to enable us to continue our efforts in helping other animals.
We reserve the right to refuse the adoption of an animal to a home that does not meet listed standards. This includes the right to inspect homes and remove the animal if it is not receiving proper care or has been mistreated.
Other Standards For Adoption:
- Adopters will allow for a minimum of 30 days adjustment period for the animal to adjust to its new environment and family. YOU CANNOT RETURN THIS PET TO KRI UNTIL AT LEAST THE 30 DAYS ARE UP. YOUR ADOPTION DONATION WILL NOT BE REFUNDED. THEREFORE, MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE THIS PET IS THE RIGHT FIT FOR YOU BEFORE AGREEING TO ADOPT.
- Animals will be placed with adults to be kept as companion animals. They are to be accepted as family members, receiving proper nourishment, medical care and attention. Continuous outdoor confinement is not acceptable.
- All male and female animals must be neutered prior to adoption.
- We discourage the adoption of puppies to homes with very young children.
- We will not place puppies into homes if no one is home most of the day or all day because these animals need special attention and care. It is cruel and inhumane to leave puppies home for long periods of time unattended. Special exceptions will be taken into consideration.
- A fenced yard is ideal for all dogs. This protects the dog from roaming and owners from liability their loose animal may cause. Dogs should never be left unattended in a yard. Chaining is not acceptable. Dogs will not be placed in homes where they will be allowed to run at large. A Knine Rescue representative may visit your residence to confirm proper confinement requirements.
- Adopters must be at least 21 years of age. Identification is required to adopt any pet. All adults in the household must agree to the selection of the chosen pet. Live-in parents, relatives, roommates, etc. must visit with the pet.
- Animals cannot be adopted as gifts. Animals shall not be given away or sold to another individual or organization. They must be returned to Knine Rescue if the adopter can no longer keep and properly care for the animal.
- Permission from the landlord is required of persons living on rental property. The landlord or rental agency will be notified personally. You must provide the name and number of your landlord or agency within 24 hours or we will move on to the next applicant.
- All animals must have collars with owner identification tags, rabies and license tags. If your animal is lost, a tag may be the only way to have your animal returned to you.
- Currently owned animals should be up-to-date on vaccinations. Mature animals should be neutered, unless there is a medical reason for intactness, or your pet is in conformation. Your veterinarian will be contacted to verify your pet's health record and proof of conformation is required.
- An appointment to visit a veterinarian to examine the animal must be scheduled within the first week of adoption. We do not knowingly adopt out sick animals but in the event an animal is sick at the time of time adoption, you will be required to see a veterinarian immediately. If the veterinarian's exam indicates that the animal has a serious illness, Knine Rescue should be notified immediately. Regular veterinary exams should be given throughout the animal's lifetime.
Non-Binding Adoption Application
The first step in our adoption process is to complete a non-binding adoption application.
Since we are a small scale rescue, our goal is to complete all adoption steps, concluding with adopted dog going to its new home, within 7 to 14 days. If you're not absolutely ready to take "ownership" within 14 days of the receipt of your application, do not submit your application until absolutely ready to adopt from us.
We are not a boarding kennel or holding facility. If you cannot take ownership within the required 7 - 14 days, you can either send us an additional donation to hold your dog so we can supply it with food & supplies while still in our rescue program (remember, your dog is now taking up space that we could use for a dog in need of rescue) or send us money to board your dog in a local boarding kennel we use. Otherwise, you run the risk of your dog being adopted by the next approved applicant in line. This applies to out of state adoptions as well as in-state!
When form is completed, please email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Back to top
When you are APPROVED to adopt - at time of adoption, we will need TWO completed and signed copies of the contract: one for you to keep & one we will collect with your adoption donation.
Back to top
If you're wondering about something or want to contact us, use this form and we will get back to you as soon as possible. If the form is not working for you, just send a message to: email@example.com
(All fields are required)
DONATIONS ALWAYS APPRECIATED. You can use PAYPAL or contact us for our mailing address so you can snailmail your tax-deductible contribution.
THE BUGSEY FOUNDATION, set up in memory of KRIs first forever foster dog, Bugsey, who died in our foster program. Please donate to the Bugsey Fund to help support KRI dogs whose situation (ie: age, looks, breed, health) may keep them in our adoption program as forever fosters.
|Your dog's friend
||Need training advice, dog health info, choosing a dog-info, great tips for after you've adopted a dog, or FREE educational seminars in Potomac, MD?|
|Mid-Atlantic Chinese Shar-Pei Rescue Operation, Inc.
||The Mid-Atlantic Chinese Shar-Pei Rescue Operation, Inc. (MACSPRO) is a privately funded 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to the rehabilitation and adoption of purebred Chinese Shar-Pei.|
||The Maryland SPCA’s mission is to improve the lives of pets and people in the community. They are dedicated to helping both pets and people and to saving the lives of animals in the community.|
|Tara's House Animal Rescue, Inc.
||Tara’s House is a private, 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. Their mission is to rescue and provide care and compassion for their pets while working to place them in permanent, loving homes.|
|NoVa Rottweiler Rescue League, Inc
||NoVa Rottweiler Rescue League, Inc. is dedicated to helping homeless, lonely dogs have a second chance in life.|
|Castle Cat Rescue||Castle Cats is a very small rescue. They are non-profit and volunteer. They care for and rehabilitate un-owned or abandoned cats. They educate the public and their goal is to help shelters in their area transition to no-kill shelters.|
||SpayUSA is a nationwide network and referral service for affordable spay/neuter.|
|Pure Gold Pet Trackers
||For help with finding your lost pet.|
|Dogs Finding Dogs
||Dogs Finding Dogs is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization of highly trained handlers and dogs that can track and find a lost pet. When we take on a missing pet case, we stay with you until your pet is found.|
|Bark Busters USA
||Dog obedience training that makes dog training easy and accessible to all.|
|Association of Professional Dog Trainers
||The Association of Professional Dog Trainers (APDT) is a professional organization of individual trainers who are committed to becoming better trainers through education.|
|Heaven's Gift Animal Rescue & Sanctuary||A 501c(3) non-profit organization|
|Dog & Cat Cancer Fund
||At the Dog & Cat Cancer Fund they help fight canine and feline cancer. They work directly with veterinarians to help needy families get treatment for their cats and dogs suffering from cancer.|
||"Helping people help pets". To better the lives of sick, injured and abused companion animals. We are dedicated to insure that no companion animal has to be euthanized simply because their caretaker is financially challenged.|
||CareCredit helps to keep your pet healthy with a credit card designed specifically for you and your pets health needs. Whether it's an everyday checkup, or an emergency surgery, they offer you convenient monthly payment options, no up-front costs, no prepayment penalties and no annual fees so you can worry about the important stuff.|
|The Mosby Foundation
||The Mosby Foundation is organized exclusively for charitable purposes, to assist in the care of critically sick, injured, abused and neglected dogs through financial support and public education.|
|Petco, Germantown, MD
||Petco Germantown, MD graciously donates food & money to us & welcomes our once-a-month adoption events.|
||BISSELL Homecare, Inc. has a long-standing commitment to support and advocate for homeless pets, and, as a family run company, this passion starts at the very top. Purchase pet products on Bissell.com or at any location BISSELL products are sold and they'll donate a portion of the proceeds to the BISSELL Pet Foundation.|
|Lost Pet U.S.A.
||"As pet owners we know that a lost or missing pet can cause a very stressful situation. We want to help."|