We DO NOT discuss individual dogs with applicants until the application process has been completed because there is often more than one applicant interested in a particular dog, and we do not want to promise the same dog to more than one applicant.
We DO NOT have a physical location, as all of our dogs are fostered in individual homes. Please stop by our meet and greet events if you would like to visit with us.
We WILL NOT place more than one Dane in any home at one time. We require a 3 month adjustment period before a second Dane may be placed in a home.
We match our Danes and our adopters to the best of our abilities, Once approved this does not mean you can adopt any Dane available, we will have to approve of the match before adoption.
Please Read And Understand The Following Requirements Completely!!!
1) All SMGDRI Great Danes will be spayed/neutered prior to any adoption. All pets in the household are expected to be spayed and neutered.
2) All adopting individuals will have to fill out and sign the Adoption Application/Agreement in its entirety, the application must then be verified and approved. (Please contact us after you have submitted an application so that we can be sure that we have it!)
3) All adopting individuals must have a fenced yard with a fence in good repair, and/or must be able to show how the Dane will be exercised.
4) All adopting individuals who live in rental property will have to have a signed approval document from their landlord, who will be contacted to verify acceptance.
5) All adopting individuals must have a home check in order to verify application and conditions of the potential "forever home".
6) All adoption individuals must be at least 21 years old.
7) Generally, we do not adopt to homes with children under 5 years old. *Some exceptions made (email or call for more information)
We ask for a donation within the following ranges for all of our adoptions. Please donate whatever you feel that you can offer! All of this money goes directly into the costs of operation; Veterinary costs, Insurance costs, food and supplies for the foster babies, etc!
Puppy up to 5 years $250 - $500
6+ yrs $200 - $400
Any donations above and beyond the donation range are greatly appreciated.
1) Applications can be filled out on our webpage - (While we encourage you to let us know on your application if one of our dogs has captured your interest, we use this simply as a guide for matching, and your listing of specific dog in no way implies claim to this particular dog)
NOTE: The Application must be completed in its entirety. Incomplete Applications will not be considered. Adoption Applications expire 6 months from the date of receipt. If you have already submitted an Adoption Application(even if you are a returning adopter) and it has been longer than 6 months, you will need to fill out a new Adoption Application.
2) Reference Checks - All references will be checked prior to home visit. We will contact your current vet, if you have one, for a reference.
3) Phone Interview
4) Home Visit - A volunteer will come to your home to visit with you and discuss care of Great Danes. Your home visit does not mean you have been approved.
5) Approval - After the above steps have been completed all your information will be reviewed and a decision will be made about adoption. If at this point you are approved to adopt, SMGDRI will help guide you to the appropriate dog for your family.
6) Contract - For the protection of the Great Danes we place, everyone that adopts a Great Dane from SMGDRI will be required to sign an adoption contract.
SMGDRI is a non-profit organization made up of a group of volunteers who’s main objective is to improve the lives of all Great Danes. Every day, we help Great Danes by bringing them into our Rescue and funding their medical care, advanced surgical treatments, spay/neuters, as well as providing foster care, basic training, food and shelter. We also provide the community with the resource of our knowledge and assistance.
All of our Danes are assessed behaviorally before they are adopted out . Each Adoptive home will receive the behavioral assessment and be brought up to date on what behaviors need worked on, as well as how the dog has been doing at the foster home. Our adoptive homes will be given our full support and assistance with the transition as well as any training that needs to be worked on. We meet regularly and encourage our adopters to join our group playdates! We want to be a part of these Danes lives always! Each and everyone of them is very special to us!! All of our Danes are spayed or neutered and up to date on vaccinations. All Danes who have come into rescue with health issues will be treated before adoption.
It is our purpose to find new, permanent, and loving homes for Great Danes that have been abused, neglected and/or abandoned in mainly Tennessee and the surrounding areas. As a non-profit organization we rely exclusively upon your generous donations, without your help, none of this would be possible.
Great Danes are extremely sensitive and loving animals, they become an enormous and integral part of the family and it is a joy just to be in their presence. Because of their size they can be easily misunderstood. As with any giant breed dog, special attention should be given to their training and care. Behaviors found acceptable in smaller sized animals are certainly not in a dog of this great size and stature. With this in mind Smoky Mountain Great Dane Rescue Inc. chooses to understand the specific needs of each Great Dane in an effort to match them with the best possible forever home.
We do not have a facility. All of our Danes are cared for in private foster homes in the East TN area.
We place Great Danes in Knoxville Tennessee and the surrounding areas; We are located primarily in Knoxville TN and will adopt to the following areas: Asheville NC, Bristol VA, Lexington KY, Nashville TN, Chattanooga TN, Birmingham AL, and Atlanta GA.