About Us

Adopting A Friend


FAQ Adoption or Rescue from SCAS:


For Local Residents ONLY:

Our adoption fee for dogs is $25. You will be required to purchase a spay/neuter voucher at the time of adoption.  Vouchers are $55 for male dogs and $85 for female dogs. 


Our adoption fee for cats is $10.  Spay/neuter vouchers are $30 for males or females. Our hours to view adoptable animals are Monday – Friday 1-4 pm.  We are not open to the public on the weekends. 


For Registered 501c3 rescue groups: 

Please send an email to lbaxter@sampsonnc.com to request a Placement Partner Packet.  We will forward you the necessary information and paperwork to partner with SCAS.  Once your application is approved, you may pull from SCAS at no cost.  Please do not let just anyone pull for your rescue.  YOU are responsible for the animals that are pulled by the persons you authorized to pull.  Your rescue and reputation are at stake, please protect them!


For adopters/non-registered rescue groups outside of Sampson County:

You may adopt an animal just like an individual.   However, you are not required to purchase a spay/neuter voucher as it is only good at our local vet.  If you are adopting an adult animal you will have 30 days to get your animal sterilized at your cost and provided proof of surgery to SCAS.  If your animal is younger, that time will be adjusted based on the age of the animal. 


For all interested adopters/rescues:


How do I adopt/rescue an animal if I am out of area or State?

The best way to contact SCAS is by email at lbaxter@sampsonnc.com . You can request a 48-hour hold for the animal you are interested in to allow time to set up vetting, transport, etc.  Put the name and/or ID # of the animal in the subject line.  Please include your full name, complete address, and phone number(s) in the first email that you send us for easy reference. If you know when and how the animal will be leaving, please include this information.  (Multiple emails, faxes and voicemails arenot necessary.)


If you are not local to SCAS, we have volunteers who can transport animals to local vets for vetting and quarantine.  Once you have received confirmation that your desired animal is available, you’ll need to contact one of the local vets to set up an account with them.  Once we have verification of this, we will have our volunteers transport to the vet you’ve chosen. There is no charge for this volunteer transport service.  Health certificates are required by law for Out-of-State travel and are only obtainable by your chosen vet. Here is a list of local to semi-local vets that can help you obtain the necessary Health Certificate for your new pet to travel Out-of-State:





Tram Road Animal Hospital

56 Tram Road

Clinton, NC 28328

(910) 592-3102


Veterinary Medical Clinic

804 Southeast Boulevard

Clinton, NC 28328‎

(910) 592-3338



Caring Hands Animal Hospital

121 North Boulevard

Clinton, NC 28328‎

(910) 592-8046


Warsaw Animal Hospital

1472 Hwy 24 & 50 Warsaw, NC 28398

910-293-3348 910-293-4800


Highland Animal Hospital

3602 Raeford Road 

Fayetteville, NC 28304 (910) 484-2131 


Southern Oaks Animal Hospital

5733 Rockfish Road  

Hope Mills, NC 28348 (910) 424-3011 


Foster instead of Quarantine?

In some circumstances, local fosters may be available for the quarantine period required to obtain a Health Certificate for Out-of-State travel.  This option will save you money as opposed to paying a boarding fee at a vet’s office.  It is customary to offer your foster the cost of food and medical supplies that may be needed for your animal during the foster period.   You may check with this group about the availability of a foster: https://www.facebook.com/Fosters4Furbutts.  You may also post on our Facebook page to see if anyone not associated with this group is available.  


What is a 48-hour hold?

A 48-hour hold keeps the animal safe while you work on getting your vetting set up, transportation arranged, etc. It means that the animal will not be euthanized during this time. Due to space limitations, this hold cannot be extended beyond 48 hours.  If a local adopter comes for the animal you have on hold, SCAS may make the decision to allow the animal to be adopted.



Does a 48-hour hold mean it will save a life?

No.  A 48-hour hold may be placed on an animal but that means that either you are coming within that time or that the animal can be transported to a vet that you have pre-paid. Holds are for out-of-area adopters or rescue and does not include local residents.  Holds placed specifically for the purpose of extending an animal’s time with no intention to rescue will result in your rescue/adoption privileges being revoked.


Where can I go online to see all of your pets for adoption?

All of our adoptable animals may be viewed at http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/NC459.html    You can also find our face book page here:  https://www.facebook.com/SampsonCountyAnimalShelter

There are many photo albums and lots of help available on this page.  Please LIKE our page to stay current with the happenings at SCAS!


Can you test the animals with children? Cats? Dogs?

No. We do not have children here to test animals with. We have little information on most of the animals that come into our facility as they are almost always strays. We can determine some information from the animals stay here, but we cannot guarantee any behavior or temperament that we see or do not see. We try and keep the dogs apart from one another due to the possibilities of contagious disease, so the most we can do really is walk them down the halls and see if aggression towards any other dogs is present.   We can take dogs into the cat room and watch for reaction, but it still is no guarantee.


How do I get the animal home?

SCAS does not provide or arrange for any type of transportation except transporting animals to the vet’s office.  Most people use Facebook as a means of finding transportation.  The prices vary and reputable companies will require 10-14 day quarantine along with a Health Certificate to travel outside of the State of NC.  If you are having trouble with this, feel free to post on our page and many who have experience with this will help.  If a transport company is willing to transport your animal without a health certificate, quarantine and proper vaccines, we STRONGLY recommend finding a different transport.


What is the adoption fee at your shelter?

Please see above.  The fee is waived for registered 501(c)3 rescue groups. This fee can be mailed to SCAS and we do not hold animals until we receive it.  We trust that you will mail in your check made payable to SCAS, 168 Agriculture Place Clinton, NC 28382 within 3 days.  If payment is not received within that time period we will email you a request for payment.  If it is not received after the reminder you will no longer be able to rescue or adopt with us until your account is cleared and you will not be allowed to participate in the honor system on payment.  We are hoping to be able to accept credit card payments over the phone in the near future.


Who is eligible for foster?

Only North Carolina residents may foster for SCAS. Only litters or special needs animals will be put into a foster situation. Please contact SCAS directly for further information regarding fostering.


Have your animals received veterinary care?

No.  As a general rule none of the animals at SCAS have rec’d routine veterinary care during their stay with us.  We vaccinate and de-worm puppies and most adult dogs as long as we have a supply of vaccinations and de-wormer, which we only receive by generous donations. You will be provided with records of what if any treatments your animal received while in our care.


Do you guarantee the health of your animals?  What if mine gets sick?

SCAS is an open admission facility.  We accept any and every animal that is dropped off.  Animals may be sick or diseased, although not showing any signs or symptoms.  For this reason, we cannot guarantee that your animal will be healthy.  We do not intentionally adopt out sick or diseased animals. We highly recommend your animal seeing a veterinarian as soon as possible for a health evaluation.


Can you set up a Chip-In for me?

 No. We are not authorized to raise funds for the animals.



Can I pay my adoption fee with a credit card?

No. We do not have the ability to accept credit card payments or PayPal. We hope to provide this option in the near future. We only accept cash or check at this time.


Do you know the fees for vetting, transport or sterilization?

No. Each vet and/or transport company pricing varies.  It is up to you and them to come to an agreement. Some may offer package deals for rescue and should be contacted directly.


We appreciate all of the help and support that SCAS receives from all around the country! Thank you so much for rescuing or adopting one or more of our animals, and all you do to try and help those in our shelter.


The SCAS Staff


Contact Sampson County Animal Shelter


Available Animals

Happy Tails

Powered by Petfinder

Loading Pets...