Pearl River County SPCA
There are always a variety of healthy dogs & cats, puppies & kittens available for adoption at our shelter. Come and find the love of your life!
Pets of the Month
Our pets of the month introduce themselves...
Our Captiviating Canine
Our Facinating Feline
We currently show some our companion animals at the PETsMART store in Slidell, LA. We always have cats and kittens at the Slidell store. Call the store on Saturday or Sunday to see if we are there with our dogs. We usually arrive on Saturday around 11 and stay until 4 or 5 on Sunday we arrive shortly after the store opens at 10 and stay until 3 or 4 PM.
Who We Are
Pearl River County Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals is a Mississippi state non-profit organization dedicated to promoting the welfare and humane treatment of animals throughout the county. It operates solely from funds provided locally. Adoption fees: vary depending on species, sex, and spay/neuter status. Cats and kittens adoptions typically start at $80, all spayed/neutered with shots. Dogs and puppies adoptions typically start at $90, all are spayed/neutered, have a microchip and at least some of their shots. All pets placed for adoption have been socialized and are good with people.
Our shelter serves the entire Pearl River County. We are an open admissions shelter so we never refuse to take one from within Pearl River County. We have several programs available if needed to help defray the cost of a pet's spay or neuters.
We always need volunteers at the shelter in many different areas. You may choose whether you want to work with dogs, cats, or both. We need people to bathe, walk and socialize the animals, or to do adoption counseling. To set up an orientation, call 601-799-1541. Children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
You can help !
Adopting a friend
Ten Good Reasons to Adopt an "Older" Dog
1. Older dogs are housetrained.
2. Older dogs are not teething puppies, and won't chew your shoes and furniture while growing up.
3. Older dogs can focus better because they're more mellow. Therefore, they learn more quickly than puppies.
4.Older dogs have learned what "no" means. If they haven't learned it, they don't get to be "older" dogs.
5.Older dogs settle in more easily, because they've learned what it takes to get along with others and become part of a pack.
6. Older dogs are good at giving love, once they get into their new, loving home. They are grateful for the second chance they've been given.
7. What You See Is What You Get: Unlike puppies, older dogs have grown into their shape and personality. Puppies can grow up to be quite different from what they seemed at first.
8. Older dogs are instant companions -- ready for hiking, car trips, and other things you like to do.
9. Older dogs leave you time for yourself, because they don't make the kinds of demands on your time and attention that puppies and young dogs do.
10. Older dogs let you get a good night's sleep because they're accustomed to human schedules and don't need nighttime feedings, comforting, or bathroom breaks.
Come Visit Us!
Picayune is located off Interstate 59 at exit 4. The shelter is open from 10am - 4pm Tuesday through Saturday (excluding holidays). Appointments can be made for after hours if you are interested in one of our animals!
Our shelter is beside the firestation on Palestine Road, just west of the intersection with Beech.
Pearl River County SPCA
1700 Palestine Road
Click here for a list of pets at this shelter
[Home] [Information] [Shelters] [Search]