Animal Care and Control
Whether your puppy has lost its way or an animal needs a home, the City of Bloomington Animal Care and Control is here to help. A division of the Department of Public Works, Animal Care and Control operates the City of Bloomington Animal Shelter and is the primary provider of animal-related services for Bloomington and Monroe County. Our principal activities include:
- sheltering stray and unwanted animals.
- connecting lost pets with their homes.
- maintaining the pet adoption program, both at the Animal Shelter and at off-site locations.
- maintaining a Foster Guardian Program in which shelter animals reside in temporary homes.
- maintaining a Volunteer Program.
- educating the community about animal care and behavior via guided tours of the shelter, free literature, and expert advice from staff.
- producing a weekly television program Pets without Partners including education on animal care and behavior and featuring pets available for adoption.
- enforcing animal control ordinances.
- responding to requests for assistance from an Animal Control Officer, including investigation of cruelty and neglect cases.
- providing 24-hour emergency rescue for injured animals.
Please contact us with any animal-related questions or concerns and remember to visit the shelter if you want to add a new furry friend to your family! Adopt Today! is a new educational campaign focused on increasing adoption of healthy but homeless pets and reducing the need for euthanasia at the City of Bloomington Animal Shelter. Join the City's effort and Adopt Today!
ANIMAL CARE AND CONTROL3410 S Walnut Street
Bloomington, IN 47401
Monday/Wednesday/Thursday/Saturday, Noon - 5:00 p.m.
Tuesday/Friday, Noon - 7:00 p.m.
Sunday 1-4 p.m. for adoptions only
Spotlight Services in Animal Care & Control
Looking for a wonderful animal companion? View animals at the Shelter right now.
Behavior consulting regarding problems/concerns/questions regarding companion animal behavior and training is available at Bloomington Animal Care & Control.
How to request the assistance of an Animal Control Officer or report animal abuse or neglect.
Provide a temporary home for animals in need while they await adoption.
What to do if you've lost your pet or found a stray.
Are you no longer able to keep your pet? Have you found a stray you need to turn in? Read more about shelter hours and intake procedures.
Find out about volunteer opportunities and how to apply. Volunteers are needed every day!