• locates homes for rescued felines
• assists the public in trapping & neutering stray cats
• provides resources to pet owners to care for the needs of their pets
• assists pet owners in finding low-cost spay-and-neuter resources
• socializes feral kittens so they can be domesticated
What makes Cat Depot unique
• we are a no-kill facility
• we give individualized care to cats until they are adopted
• we provide large free-roaming enclosures for most felines
• we help protect the rights of abused animals
In September 2003, due to the neglect and abandonment of several hundred free-roaming cats residing at a former shelter in Sarasota, Florida, five concerned citizens stepped up to the plate to rescue the felines in distress. The founders rented a small warehouse in which the cats would temporarily reside until future legal custody could be determined. Their original mission was to provide a safe haven for the cats and give a voice to those that had none.Needing a name to identify their facility, they called it “Cat Depot.” Over the course of the next few months, each cat was examined, treated, and documented by the county’s veterinarian. In total, 262 cats survived.
Due to the overwhelming number of calls Cat Depot began receiving, it soon became apparent that there was a need for another feline shelter in Sarasota. The founders were faced with the pivotal decision of whether to find homes for the rescued cats and close Cat Depot’s doors or become a long-term adoption facility and a valuable resource to the community. They chose the latter.
Cat Depot is located between 301 and Tuttle on 17th Street.
Hours of operation: 11:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. Mon-Fri, and 11:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. Sat. & Sun., open 7 days a week, closed major holidays.
[Home] [Information] [Shelters] [Search]