The Suncoast Humane Society is one of Florida's few "open admissions" animal shelters. We accept all animals brought to us from within our service area. We are committed to our policy of never turning an animal away regardless of health, temperament, size or breed.
Adopting A Friend
Here at Suncoast Humane Society, we take our animal adoptions very seriously but our policies are simple. We have an obligation to see every animal adopted into a responsible home. We only place animals with caring people who are concerned with the well-being of the animal.
Adoption Hours are:
Tuesday - Friday 11:00 AM - 4:30 PM
Saturday 10:00 AM - 3:30 PM
We are closed Sunday and Monday. We are unable to process adoptions 30 minutes prior to closing so that we can feed and care for the animals
Adopters must meet these guidelines:
- 18 years of age
- Valid ID with name and current address; and
- Landlord and/or parental verification
Adoptions may be restricted:
- During certain holiday periods;
- By limiting the adoption of certain animals, breeds, or ages to families with children or elderly.
What you get when you adopt from SHS:
- Spaying or neutering
- Heartworm or feline leukemia/AIDS test
- First distemper shot
- A complimentary bag of Hills Science Diet pet food.
- A complete medical history showing all of the care, shots, and tests that were administered to the animal during its shelter stay
- An implanted microchip with registration (helping to return lost animals to their owners)
- An amazing new friend!!
- Canines and Felines - $85.00 plus $12 Rabies Vaccination
- Canines and Felines for Senior Adopters (65+) - $50.00 plus $12 Rabies Vaccination
- Senior Canines and Felines (7+ years) for Senior Adopters (65+) - $25 plus $12 Rabies Vaccination
- Pets with Seniority (In Shelter more than 6 months) - $10 plus $12 Rabies Vaccination
*There may be additional inoculations recommended that you will be responsible for. Additionally, you will have to purchase a County License/Tag for your pet. We are currently able to sell County License Tags for Sarasota and Charlotte Counties.*
If you would like to get a head-start on the Adoption Application, click on the link above to access it.
Please don't hesitate to stop by the shelter in person to discuss any questions with an adoption counselor, or feel free to call us at 941-474-7884.
Florida Statute 585.195 states that all dogs and cats sold must be at least eight (8) weeks old.
Statue 823.15 states that all animals adopted from any shelter must be spayed or neutered.
Who We Are
Founded in 1971 by a group of compassionate people, the Animal Aid Society of Englewood began operations as a small shelter with a few cages allowing it to care for homeless animals. The Englewood area, along with the entire nation, experienced a pet over-population crisis that challenged our non-profit organization to grow to meet the needs.
Expansions to the shelter occurred, with the latest completed in 1997. Over time our service area also expanded and now covers more than 400 square miles, including Charlotte County, most of Sarasota County and a portion of Lee County (Boca Grande).
To more accurately reflect the areas we serve, the name was changed to Suncoast Humane Society.
Suncoast Humane Society is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.
All gifts are tax-deductible to the extent allowable by law.
Come Visit Us
Our Adoption Center and Preventive Health Care Clinic is located at 6781 San Casa Drive in Englewood, FL 941-474-7884.
Visit our website at www.humane.org
Our visiting hours are:
Tues - Fri 11:00 - 4:30
Sat - 10:00 - 3:30
Preventive Health Care Clinic by appointment only.
Contact Suncoast Humane Society