Sunshine State Westie Rescue
Sunshine State Westie Rescue
** WE ARE IN NEED OF FOSTER HOMES! **
YOU can make a huge difference by fostering just one dog.
Each and everyday we have the opportunity to save more Westies in need.
We can't save them if we don't have the Foster Homes to place them in. It's that simple!
Would you like to learn more on how you can help?
Start by reading our
FAQ's Frequently Asked Questions
If you determine that fostering is right for you then please fill out
"The Westie Rescue Volunteer Form"
It will be forwarded to the Sunshine State Westie Rescue contact in your area.
NEED TO REPORT A WESTIE THAT REQUIRES HELP?
If you know of SOMEONE WHO NEEDS HELP WITH A WESTIE or a WESTIE WHO NEEDS A NEW HOME, please contact us on their behalf by filling out the:
"Dog in Trouble Report"
(Only for use when dogs need help...not for adoption information!).
IMPORTANT - Please provide a means of reaching the person or shelter (such as a phone number) with the Westie in need.
WHO IS SUNSHINE STATE WESTIE RESCUE?
Sunshine State Westie Rescue (SSWR) is a relatively new entity of Westie Rescue USA. We operate under 501(c)3 of Westie Rescue of the Mid Atlantic States, Inc. We provide rescue, fostering, medical, and adoption services for abused, abandoned, neglected and/or homeless West Highland White Terriers ("Westies"). We welcome every Westie without regard to health, behavior or temperament.
Our primary area that we conduct rescue is the state of Florida.
Sunshine State Westie Rescue is an all volunteer, not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization which is funded by donations from the public. Westies are fostered in private homes during rehabilitation or until adoption.
All dogs are treated for any medical issues, brought up to date and are required to be spayed or neutered before placement. A tax deductible donation* to cover program expenses is requested at the time of adoption. The donation amount ranges from $250 to $500. The amount varies based on individual dogs and expenses incurred.
* Sunshine State Westie Rescue operates under the 501(c)3 of Westie Rescue of the Mid Atlantic States, Inc.
ARE YOU INTERESTED IN ADOPTING A WESTIE FRIEND?
Our Adoption Policies:
To qualify to adopt from Sunshine State Westie Rescue you must first:
- Reside in our adoption area so we can do a home visit. We do NOT ship dogs to new homes.
- FULLY COMPLETE and submit our "Adoption Application"
- Agree to a home visit prior to adopting a dog. Sunshine State Westie Rescue requires a Home Safety Visit prior to approval to adopt. After reference checks have been completed, a Westie Rescue volunteer in your area will be contacted to arrange and conduct the Home visit.
Again , take a few minutes to read the FAQ's Frequently Asked Questions to familiarize yourself with all the factors affecting your decision to adopt a rescued Westie.
If you think you could be the perfect forever home for one of our rescued Westies, we look forward to hearing from you.
You can submit an adoption application two ways:
** PLEASE MAKE CERTAIN TO FILL OUT THE FORM COMPLETELY.
- ONLINE SUBMISSION: Fill out the "Adoption Application" on the Internet.
- MAILED TO A STREET ADDRESS: Send a Self Addressed AND Stamped envelope to Sunshine State Westie Rescue, P.O. Box 342, Dunn Loring, VA 22027 stating you want an application mailed to you.
Incomplete applications are filed until a volunteer has time to contact the applicant to obtain the missing information. Unfortunately, in an all volunteer organization, this could take quite a while, delaying the approval process.
NOTE: ALL DOGS ARE PLACED WITH PEOPLE WHO HAVE SUBMITTED THE ADOPTION APPLICATION ON OUR WEB SITE. Adoption candidates will be contacted about a specific Westie when a dog is received which fits the pet profile the applicant specified in their application.
Restrictions on Adoptions (and Reasons):
- Sunshine State Westie Rescue does not place dogs in homes with children younger than 7 years old. (40% of the Westies given up to our program are due to poor interaction with small children).
- In most cases Westie Rescue does not place dogs in homes with resident cats. (Westies were developed to hunt predators the size of cats. To this day, most Westies retain the instinct to hunt and kill such animals. For the safety of people's cats, we do not place in homes where one resides.)
** VOLUNTEERS NEEDED! **
Volunteers and donations are always accepted and appreciated!
Sunshine State Westie Rescue is run entirely by volunteers and donations. Volunteers are the backbone of our organization and they are always welcomed and needed.
If you would like to help us with rescued dogs or with other rescue activities such as events, transporting, home safety checks, fund raising, administrative work, etc. we would love to hear from you. It's easy to get started. Just fill out our
"Westie Rescue Volunteer Form".
If you have trouble finding or filling out the form, please click on
"Web Questions?" to send an email for help.
The MORE caring people who are actively involved in rescue, the LESS chance that a Westies in need will fail to be helped. Their fate is often grim including euthanasia by owners or in shelters.
YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!
WOULD YOU LIKE TO MAKE A DONATION?
Just as all other rescues and shelters always desperately need donations, Sunshine State Westie Rescue also appreciates every contribution made to keep our rescue program going.
We are an IRS approved 501(c)(3) non-profit, charitable group. Sunshine State Westie Rescue operates under the 501(c)3 of Westie Rescue of the Mid Atlantic States, Inc. All donations are tax deductible to the full extent of the law. Donations are used ONLY as necessary to ensure that Westies are rescued, rehabilitated, and adopted.
You can make a contribution by:
- BY CREDIT CARD - Follow this secure link: "Please Donate".
- BY MAIL - Send a check to:
"Sunshine State Westie Rescue"
c/o Westie Rescue
P. O. Box 342,
Dunn Loring, VA 22027.
COME VISIT US!
For the latest rescue news and events, go to the Westie Rescue!
Check us out on
Sunshine State Westie Rescue Facebook
Get your video fix of our beautiful Westies at the Sunshine State Westie Rescue YouTube Channel
SOME FUN STUFF
Does Your Westie Want To Be "In The Know"?
We will be glad to put your Westie (and you) on our Westie Lover's mailing list!
Click "Register Your Westie" to have the free newsletter delivered right to your home or business.
OUR CALENDAR OF EVENTS:
Go to our Westie Calendar by clicking "Events"!
Remember: If you have problems with or questions about the site, please click on
"Web Questions?" send an email to us.
Emergency Phone: 703-628-9441 (only when DOGS need help!)
24-hour Information Line: 703-671-1039
[Home] [Information] [Shelters] [Search]