Who We Are
Tails of Courage is a non-profit organization committed to rescuing dogs from shelters. We are entirely funded by donations and depend on volunteers.
Each animal is tested, and upon meeting a series of criteria may be chosen for training as a therapy dog for a Soldier at no cost to the military member.
Our organization evaluates, tests, trains, qualifies, and assists therapy dog/handler teams in order to provide loving, nurturing and compassionate visitation in nursing homes, hospitals, psychiatric facilities, senior residences, schools, private homes, military care facilities, and other locations where emotional support dogs are needed for America's active and veteran military.
Our mission is providing physical and emotional rehabilitation through pet assisted therapy. Our program objectives are as follows:
• Honoring America's Soldiers by providing support and encouragement to our service men and women in rehabilitation, through pet assisted therapy, offering hope and inspiration to them, as well as their families.
• Nurturing, training, and caring for the special dogs that provide therapy or service.
• Promoting and educating others through stories of healing, service, and courage exhibited by these animals, patients, or persons who have served our nation.
Adopting a friend
If you are interested in adopting a pet, please visit our website at tailsofcourage.org
or email us at email@example.com and we are happy to send you an application.
Our Adoption Process:
Each Applicant for a dog must submit a COMPLETELY filled out application to firstname.lastname@example.org. The application will be processed, and if approved, you will be invited to meet the dog. Only completely filled out applications will be considered. All of our dogs are in foster homes in Connecticut.
While each applicant is different, and may not be subject to all of the following requirements, Tails of Courage reserves the right to any and/or all of the following for each applicant:
• A home visit done by Tails of Courage if local to our rescue, or another rescue local to your area.
• We do adopt outside of Connecticut to families, but require each family, including all family members who will be responsible for the animal, to come to the adoption in Connecticut to meet the animal as well as to meet a member or members of our Board at the time of meeting the animal before an adoption is finalized. We do not transport animals to you.
• Tails of Courage reserves the right to perform a public records background check on any applicant including but not limited to criminal, civil, and most importantly to check with the local animal control regarding any prior animal abuse or neglect charges.
• In these tough financial times our rescue receives many owner turn-ins. Verification of employment and financial ability to care for the animal are required with each adoption.
• All other animals in the home MUST be altered and up to date on all vaccinations, unless Tails of Courage is provided a written statement from the Veterinarian for noncompliance based on medical purposes.
• We do adopt to first time dog owners. It is important when adopting a dog to research and choose a Veterinarian. Prior to any adoption, all adopters must have a chosen Veterinarian with a scheduled appointment for the animal. Tails of Courage may follow up on the scheduled appointment.
• All dogs must be licensed in the towns in which they live. Responsible pet owners are careful to register their pets annually. Tails of Courage reserves the right to require proof of registration of your pet following any adoption.