Compassion For Cats
Who We Are
Our Mission: Compassion for Cats is a nonprofit organization dedicated to aiding cats and kittens, both feral and stray, who are homeless and in need of help. Our all-volunteer organization arranges to neuter and maintain feral cat colonies in many communities. CFC also socializes feral kittens and helps to place adoptable cats into safe and caring homes. CFC's Goals: 1. Trapping, neutering, vaccinating, and returning feral cats. 2. Maintaining the feral cat colonies and/or educating and assisting a caretaker to assume this responsibility. 3. Socializing and placing adoptable cats or kittens. 4. Arranging for veterinary care for injured, sick, or disabled cats. 5. Helping elderly, indigent, or medically challenged owners get veterinary care or find permanent homes for their cats. 6. Establishing a facility to be used as both a shelter and adoption center. Our Goals for the Future: Since we do not have a facility of our own, we currently rely on the use of foster homes. Our dream is to establish a shelter which would serve as a center for homeless cats awaiting adoption. This would be a no kill shelter, no cat would be euthanized unless it was suffering from an untreatable medical condition. The facility would not consist of the usual array of small cat cages; it would be a comfortable, non-stressful environment which would allow the cats room to exercise and explore. We also plan to eventually establish a permanent cat sanctuary. This will be a safe and comfortable cage-free environment for cats who are unable to be released or adopted.
Adopting a friend
Adoption Qualifications and Policies: 1. Adopters must be 21 years of age or older. 2. You must be able to provide adequate shelter for the cat or kitten. Your new cat will have will have a longer and better life if it is strictly an indoor pet. 3. If the adopter, at a later time, decides that they can no longer care for the animal, CFC must be contacted first. It cannot be placed in any other shelter or given to anyone without CFC's knowledge and consent. We will make every effort to find another loving home for the cat or kitten. 4. You must agree to take your cat in for regular vet visits. We want good lives for our animals and regular checkups and health maintenance are a must. 5. If, in CFC's judgment, the adopted animal is subject to abuse or mistreatment of any kind, CFC will repossess the animal.
Adoption Procedures: All pets placed for adoption have been socialized, evaluated and seen by a veterinarian. All are up to date on shots, and will be spayed/neutered before placement.
1. Check out the list of the cats and kittens looking for loving homes on our adoption page, Adopt A Cat.
2. If you want to adopt one of them, please contact us for an adoption application or print out an application from our web site. Submit your Adoption Application to CFC for processing.
3. Processing your application will be done as quickly as possible.
4. Upon application approval, you will be contacted to arrange a "pet introduction" appointment. During this meeting, you can look at the animal, play with it, and find out about its previous history.
5. Following the "pet introduction", a reference check will be conducted, including veterinarian reference(s).
6. Upon mutual acceptance, the cat or kitten will be delivered to your home by a CFC representative. This "home visit" will be scheduled with you and your family. Please do not be offended at the prospect of an CFC member visiting your home. The only purpose of the home visit is to meet your family and other pets (if applicable) and to confirm your home will be a safe and loving environment for this new pet. We feel it's our responsibility to make sure they experience only love and kindness in their new "forever" home
Come Visit Us!
We do not currently have a shelter--Our cats and kittens are housed at foster homes. Please see our contact information for our mailing address or visit our web site at www.compassionforcats.org.
Compassion For Cats
8 Huntington Street
Shelton, CT 06484
Phone: 203 929 7909
Click here for a list of pets at this shelter
[Home] [Information] [Shelters] [Search]