PETSMART IN SAN LUIS OBISPO- SATURDAY MARCH 19TH FROM 10AM-4PM (NEXT TO COSTCO ON FROOM RANCH WAY). COME CHECK OUT ALL OF THE AVAILABLE DOGS AND PUPPIES AT OUR EVENT AND TAKE HOME YOUR NEXT FURRY FAMILY MEMBER!
Our kennels are done, and we are still looking for a contractor to help us finish mudding the inside walls and connect the plumbing for the wash stations and sinks! Please contact us at email@example.com if you would like to help! All donations of materials and time are tax deductible.
WE ARE LOOKING FOR PEOPLE TO HELP PLAN A VERY LARGE BENEFIT/FUNDRAISER TO BEGIN THE PROCESS OF SAVING UP FOR OUR NEW FACILITY. WE ARE RELYING SOLEY ON FOSTER HOMES UNTIL OUR NEW FACILITY IS CONSTRUCTED! IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO FOSTER, WE DESPERATELY NEED PEOPLE TO TAKE DOGS/PUPS INTO THEIR HOMES SO THAT WE CAN CONTINUE TO HELP KERN COUNTY ANIMAL CONTROL RELIEVE THEIR OVERWHELMING NUMBERS A BIT... PLEASE EMAIL PETMATCHMAKERCA@GMAIL.COM IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO HELP IN ANY WAY!
We have purchased 3 acres to continue our mission to help animals in need in Kern county. We are in the beginning stages of planning and constructing a kennel specifically for the Pet Matchmaker dogs and puppies to make them comfortable and keep them happy in their stay with us until they find their forever home. We are currently looking for donations of Lowes, Home Depot, or any other "home improvement" gift cards to begin purchasing supplies needed to construct the future indoor/outdoor kennels. We are also looking for larger corporations or donors to donate things such as kennels, puppy playrooms, etc. which will be "donor named" with a plaque. For more information on what you can do to help with this wonderful project for the animals, please contact us at petmatchmakerCA@gmail.com! Thanks!
Pictures of the property and kennel plans- COMING SOON! :)
If you would like to sponsor a dog, PLEASE HELP BY CLICKING ON THIS DONATION BUTTON
Pet Matchmaker is comprised of several foster homes, but there are many things we could still use as a rescue- read below for "gift" ideas for the dogs and the people that love and help them each day until they find their forever home!
- Wet dog food (any kind), Kirkland Nature's Domain Turkey Meal and Sweet Potato (red bag at Costco), bleach, laundry detergent, paper towels, garbage bags, etc- all things needed, used and bought on a VERY regular basis!
- Collars (all sizes) and leashes
- Volunteers: All ages (children under 18 must have a waiver signed prior to volunteering). The dogs are all in foster homes, so we are always in need of more homes for our babies to stay until a permanent home is found. We can always use help with projects around the new property and working with the rescue horses and ponies- cleaning, brushing, mucking stalls, and walking/riding (experienced riders only)grant writing, you name it! If you are interested in helping with grants (we desperately need this!!), PLEASE contact Morgan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are in desperate need of a transport vehicle to take our animals to and from events and spay/neuter appointments. If you would like to donate toward this, please click on the link below!
OUR TRUCK IS ON IT'S LAST LEGS, AND TO AVOID BEING STUCK WITHOUT A TRANSPORT VEHICLE (A MAJOR POTENTIAL DISASTER), WE ARE IN THE PROCESS OF RAISING THE FUNDS TO PURCHASE A CARGO VAN WITH THE ABILITY TO TOW OUR ADOPTION TRAILER. DONATIONS CAN BE MADE ON THE PAYPAL BUTTON JUST BELOW THE GOAL THERMOMETER. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!!
We are always in need of cleaning supplies- bleach, sponges, paper towels, Swiffer wet mops, etc to keep up with the daily maintenance of the facility. We are also needing donations of Kuranda dog beds. Please help keep them comfortable by clicking HERE and choose "Pet Matchmaker Rescue- Bakersfield, CA" in the drop down box to give them a nice soft bed to sleep on. They will greatly appreciate it! ALL SIZES ARE NEEDED AT THIS TIME!
If you are interested in volunteering, please contact us at email@example.com for more information!
We are desperately searching for foster homes for our rescue doggies! If you are interested please CLICK HERE to fill out a foster application.
Who We Are
We are a 501(c)3 non-profit rescue group who began rescue on the East coast serving New England from the southern states. Our rescue began with three friends that shared the same desire — to save as many dogs as possible from unfortunate situations in the southern United States. We recently have expanded this mission to the central valley of California, where the problem is just as big and just as bad. Very few people understand the importance of sterilization of pets and don't realize that over 85% of the dogs and cats brought to Kern county shelters are euthanized and never even have a chance to be seen, due to lack of space. Over 500 dogs come into the county shelter weekly, and we do what we can to help, but the numbers never seem to go down. Dogs brought in by there owners rarely stand a chance, as they are euthanized immediately upon intake if the shelters are full. Our focus is to help dogs from situations such as:
* high-risk (often three day kill) shelters
* lack of care
Our goal is to provide temporary home environments for these dogs until a forever home can be found. Our dogs are kept in loving, social environments where they receive the food, shelter, love and care necessary to make them highly adoptable pets. We operate as a network of foster homes throughout California, but mainly Kern and Kings Counties. Our dogs are located in foster care in various counties – and all are awaiting forever homes. We would welcome the opportunity to work with you to help you find a match and a friend for life.
Thanks for visiting our site.
Adopting a friend
If you are interested in the adoption of one of our many wonderful cats and dogs currently available and looking for their perfect match, please go to our Available Dogs page, find your perfect match, and fill out an application! Thanks for your interest in a rescue dog!!
Stray/Found Dog Protocol
This is the most common call we get here at Pet Matchmaker: "Help, I found a dog, what do I do? Can you take it?" We have a protocol to follow so NO we cannot take in strays; that falls under the jurisdiction of Animal Control and we are not the humane society. We have very limited space and funding at our facility. To fulfill our mission statement our dogs MUST come primarily from Kern County Animal Control; this is the only way we can change statistics thus fulfilling our mission statement. Our dogs have to be quarantined for 14 days, temperament tested and screened, as well as all their medical needs addressed before entering our program. Pet Matchmaker's goal is to save dogs from death row and reduce the euthanasia rate in Kern County, not house stray dogs. We do not have a quarantine space at Pet Matchmaker, therefore we can not take in an animal with an unknown background. The only way to ensure our dogs exceed the standards we have set is to follow protocol. If you find a stray these are the steps you should take:
- First, see if there are any tags. If the dog has tags call the owner if information is provided. If there is just a rabies tag call your county animal control ( 661-868-4685) and provide the tag number to them. They will be able to trace which vet the tag was issued to and the vet will be able to trace which client the tag was assigned to.
- If there are no tags take the dog to the nearest vet and they will be able to scan the dog for a microchip. THIS IS FREE!!! (The microchip is a device some owners have implanted into their dog's skin between the shoulder's and has info to trace the owner.)
- If there are no tags, no chip; call animal control. Be sure to give a description and your contact info so if the owner comes looking they have the right info to share. Also put an ad on http://bakersfield.craigslist.org, www.petfinder.org or call the Californian to place a free "found" ad to get the word out FAST about the dog. When listing a found dog on the internet give a brief description DO NOT POST A PICTURE and be sure to leave some details out so the person calling has to identify some specifics and you can make sure it is indeed the correct owner and not someone with ill intent! If listing a dog for adoption please make sure to POST A PICTURE so interested parties can see the pet for adoption. Make flyers and post around the neighborhood and local businesses!!! If you do not have a digital camera or internet you can contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can set a time to come out and take pictures and post them on the our webpage for you. We do ask for a small donation (if possible) to list the dog. So many dogs are just not found or placed in a new home due to lack of diligence about advertising the dog.
- If you have found a dog and all efforts have been exhausted and you cannot keep the dog, first contact the local breed rescue groups if the dog is a specific breed. Click HERE to view the most extensive rescue list to date in CA. The next step would be put ad on the above mentioned website's to try and find the dog a new home. You might have to put up a runner or borrow a kennel to keep the dog away from your dog(s) until arrangements have been made. If said dog is a victim of foreclosure please click on this link: http://nopawsleftbehind.org/paws/
- As a last resort, you may have to take the dog to animal control. First try to be part of the solution and take the burden off animal control if possible. A little effort goes a long way to ending our animal control problems.
Come Visit Us!
Our animals are available to visit by APPROVED ADOPTERS (already through the adoption process) and by appointment only. We are a network of foster homes throughout Kern County. Please go to this link, How to Become a Foster , to find out more information on our rescue and foster network! If you are a California resident, we are more than willing to take fosters from any county!
Pet Matchmaker Rescue
PO Box 21406
Bakersfield, CA 93390
Pet Matchmaker Rescue
PO Box 21406
Bakersfield, CA 93390
Click here for a list of pets at this shelter
[Home] [Information] [Shelters] [Search]